Since the COVID-19 pandemic began and many restaurants were forced to close their dining rooms and pivot to delivery, takeout, and curbside pickups, 51 percent of consumers have downloaded a new food delivery app.
But while the pandemic has accelerated the increase in popularity of online ordering and food delivery, this is a trend that’s long been growing. All the way back in 2016 (we know, it feels like ages ago), 60 percent of U.S. consumers were ordering delivery or takeout at least once a week.
Online food ordering and delivery are here to stay. But does that mean restaurants are getting the most benefit possible from online orders? Not always.
The most popular options out there for setting up online food ordering and delivery all have pretty major drawbacks that are costing restaurants time, effort, and, most importantly, money.
Meanwhile, busy restaurant owners and managers just want a fast, easy, and convenient way to set up online food ordering (while still protecting their margins).
Is there a better way? In this article, we will:
- Examine some of the top options restaurants use for online food ordering and delivery;
- Break down the pros and cons of each;
- Show how Popmenu combats each and every pain point that comes with the most popular online food ordering platforms; and
- Give step-by-step instructions for setting up online food ordering with Popmenu in as little as one afternoon.
How to Set Up Online Food Ordering: 3 Top Options
Restaurant owners, managers, and marketers have a sea of options when it comes to setting up online food ordering. However, there are definitely platforms and solutions that are most popular with both restaurants and their guests.
Why Is Online Ordering So Complex (and Expensive)?
There are three main things restaurants want from their online food ordering setup.
But many of the most popular online ordering options only give you one or two of them.
Direct web integration is affordable and customizable, but not fast, convenient, or simple.
Third-party apps are very fast, convenient, and simple, but you have to give up a lot of control — plus there are all the fees and commissions.
POS integration with a third-party app gives you more convenience and control, but it’s even more expensive.
Restaurants need an online food ordering option that offers them all three. They need Popmenu.
Online Ordering Pain Points? Popmenu Solves them All
With Popmenu, guests order through a shopping cart-like experience directly from your website. Their orders are sent straight to you for confirmation, with payment processing by Stripe or Square. Then, you can deliver orders with an in-house team, or partner with a local delivery network.
Here are the most important things:
- Popmenu gives restaurants complete control over the entire online ordering process (including customer data, which they can use to re-market to customers later).
- Popmenu charges a straightforward, flat fee with no percentage commissions. In fact, we’ve saved independent restaurants over $1.2 million in online ordering commissions and fees--and we’re not done yet!
- Best of all, it’s simple and convenient, and you can set up online food ordering for your restaurant via Popmenu in just minutes.
How to Set Up Online Ordering with Popmenu
Online ordering and delivery are included with every Popmenu account.
Our onboarding team will help you prepare your menu for online ordering. You choose whether to collect payment through Stripe or Square, and whether you’ll deliver orders with an in-house team, or utilize our partnership with DoorDash for convenient delivery.
Then, just sit back and wait for your first online order. When it comes in, you’ll receive an email, a text notification, and/or a push notification via the Popmenu for Owners app. If your MyPop dashboard is open, it will notify you with a chime. All that’s left is for you to accept the order — and cook up a delicious meal for your online customer, of course.
See how much your restaurant can save my processing more online orders directly through your website with Popmenu: